Thursday, October 16, 2008

Cement Pumper Truck




Last week Thursday Harlow and I took the day off to watch Derry Pool fill his styrofoam basement forms with cement. Dad and I went together. He had a pumper truck come from Bismarck to fill the forms. Derry recently lost his home to fire. Anyway, I don't think the pumper truck pumped a wheelbarrow amount of cement and it blew a pipe. He didn't have another one along and it didn't sound like his boss would let anybody weld it. Liability isues I would imagine. By this time there was a cement truck backed up to the pumper and another one in the driveway. Derry called the cement plant right away and cancelled the third and fourth truck. I don't know what they ended up doing with all that cement.

Well, they decided to try it again today so Harlow and I took the day off again, not only to watch them pump cement, but I had my sleep test last night. I didn't know if I would be tired today or not.

It took me awhile to get to sleep but sleep I must have because the next thing I knew it was 5:30 and somebody was waking me up to take the wires off. I won't know anything until the Doc looks at the results. They didn't wake me during the night to put a mask on.

Back to the pumper. The cement truck arrives and guess what, the pumper truck has elecrical problems and won't pump. I bet it took him half an hour but he got it going. While he was fixing and making phone calls they decided to back one of the trucks up to the forms and start unloading it that way. Before his truck was empty the pumper was going. It was quite interesting. They kept walking around the forms to fill them. They built a walk way just for that. I guess they can't fill them unevenly or the forms will break out. The guy operating the pumper said it runs around 5000 psi to pump the cement up that high and then it just gravity flows down. I have never seen one work before. Here are some pictures.
Duane

I just got off work and since Duane was blogging I thought I'd add a little of what I've been up to. This week I'm on the 10:30 am-7:00 pm shift (5 days). That only happens a couple of times a year.
We've been working on our Haunted House at work. Every Year they put on a haunted house for all the kids in the area.

We have kids come from Hazelton, Linton, Strasburg, Bakker and I think even Napolean and possibly Wishek. I've never really helped with it because last year we had only been out on the floor for a little bit when they started. I'm not sure how it happened but I keep getting told I'm in charge of the decorating. We all really work together, whenever anyone can go back and work on it, but I guess someone has to know whats going on, and what the plans are. But I know there are others that have worked as hard on it as I have. I have really enjoyed it.
We've had a lot of fun coming up with ideas, and some of the girls that have come through say it's the biggest and the best one yet. It is a non profit, just for the kids so we are a little limited on funds but we have a lot of stuff from the past years to use so that helps and a lot of employees bring their stuff in so we can use it. I know one of the guys is bringing his fogger in tomorrow. I can't wait to see how it looks with that running.
I'll maybe try to get some pictures and post them.
Well, have a GREAT Weekend !
Betty

No comments: