Friday, February 1, 2008

We're Home Again, at last.

Wow, it's been forever since I last posted. It has been kind of busy around here. But I've been home from work for almost a month now, so I really have no excuse for not writting.

As I'm sure you all know Duane is home, and doing pretty good, each day he gets a little stronger. He had an appointment on Monday the doctor says he's doing good, he gets to quit wearing those cute white socks (support hose), I think I was as happy to hear that as Duane was. Those things are NOT easy to put on. The doctor also said he needs to keep carrying his little pillow with him (It's a heart shaped pillow that he needs to hold against his chest whenever he coughs or sneezes, to support his breastbone) and is not suppose to use his chest muscles at all.

Because he can't get out of bed, or out of his chair without using his arms, or chest muscles I decided to take my full 6 week leave of abcense, I'm sure by the time 2 more weeks are up he will be able to be on his own while I'm at work. The doctor also said he could sleep on his side now if it wasn't uncomfortable which Duane was glad to hear, he doesn't usually sleep on his back and isn't very comfortable on it. But He tried it and it doesnt work yet it hurt too bad.

I've been busy around here the last couple of weeks. When we first got home I did nothing but sleep during the daytime in my extra time. But now that Duane is sleeping better at night and
doesn't need quite as much help during the day I've been working on home projects in my spare time.

I tore the pantry shelves out, painted inside then I used some left over vinyl tiles to cover the floor and I cut the shelves down so now the pantry has 3 walls of shelves from top to bottom, instead of huge deep shelves. I decided it would be worth having a little less shelf space If I could reach stuff in the back, and see everything that was in there.

Then Casey decided to bring the TV up from the basement and put it in his room (nobody was using it down there) so he needed a TV stand. We looked around until we found a shelf that would work. We had to cut part of the top off and add a couple of shelves on the bottom. Then we painted it to match his bedroom. It works really good, now he can sit on his bed and play playstation,and theres even room for more people when the other kids are here and want to play.

Now I'm working on our bedroom. Trying to pick out what color I want it. I want to get that painted over the weekend if possible. Then I can hopefully get everything arranged the way I want it and decorated before I go back to work.

Duane has another appointment with his heart doctor on February 5th, and then an appointment with a doctor in Linton on the 6th (he has to go see a doctor in Linton before they will let him start physical therapy there).
I would imagine he will start physical therapy on the following Monday. So we will be busy running from that point on. I return to work on the 15th.

Casey went to Ryans last night to help him adjust his TV antennae. He's getting ready for a Supperbowl party. Nothing too big, just his girlfriend and a couple of girls that are staying at her parents helping on the farm.

Brandon called the other night, he had frozen pipes. He wasn't feeling well in the first place, then he got home and the pipes were froze. But it turned out not to be too bad, it was just one pipe and he was able to get it thawed out with a propane torch. As cold as it has been I was surprised he never had problems with that before then. But he did insulate really good under there, and he has heat tape on alot of the pipes.

Alex is busy looking for another job. He quit his job at UBC. He said his back just couldn't take it anymore. They have been working on that new apartment and he has to stand reaching over his head stuffing insulation in all day. I sure hope he finds something soon.

Well, guess I'd better go get something done.

1 comment:

Nancy said...

Hey Betty-

I hear you about the stockings-those things are unbelievable hard to put on someone-I had to do that when I took care of my mom. There is no way a person who is recovering from surgery could ever get those things on by themselves!!

Glad to hear Duane is recovering nicely!

Nancy