Saturday, July 12, 2008

Little Masked Bandit II

I no sooner got done posting on the blog this morning and Betty informed me that there was indeed another raccoon in one of the trees south of our house. Probably not even 20 feet from the house. He must have stayed in the tree all night long. This one was about the same size as the other one. The dog was no where around so he must have been so scared that he just stayed in the tree.

They sure are cute little buggers. They reminded me of the pet raccoon we had when we were kids. Our cousin Dean Meier found him on the Compaan farm. We named him Coonie. We fed him with a baby bottle until he got older. I think Mom and Dad even have slides of that. I remember in the winter he would go in the haystairs and sleep. I don't remember for how long but every once in a while he would come down and drink milk out of the cat dish. We had to go up the haystairs and throw down square bales of alfalfa because Dad kept the milk cows inside when it was cold. I was afraid to go up there because I always heard it's not a good thing to wake up a hibernating animal. I don't know if raccoons hibernate but I guess that's what I thought he was doing. Never did see him up there though.

2 comments:

Bruce Darnell said...

What - no pictures of either of the masked bandits? That would be neat. :)

Duane and Betty said...

I guess we didn't think about taking pictures. Don't know why because we usually do. The one in the tree would have been a good one. He was almost to the top of the tree.