Friday, May 9, 2008

Happy Mothers Day !!

It's been awhile since we've posted. Where do I start? I guess since my brother Bruce is curious about calving I'll start there. I have six cows left to calf. I call them the stragglers. So far 20 heifers and 14 bulls. We also had another red calf born on Tuesday the 6th. It was a heifer so we'll have to keep an eye on her to see if she can be a replacement. We ended up with 6 open cows this year. I had one bull die in the pasture last year. My brother Doug thinks that was the bull that was doing most or all of the breeding. Don't know what happened to the other bull. I did see him mount and breed the open cows but they remained open at the next cycle. I'm going to cull 2 of them and give the other 4 another chance. Of the ones I'm going to cull, one has a very large udder and teats. The other one prolapsed last year.

I bought two red simmental bulls this spring. One was delivered the first week in April and the other one was delivered yesterday. They don't look the same as a person remembers from the day you bought them. The bull that was delivered yesterday is taller and looks to be heavier than the other one.

Casey's last day of school is the 15th. He doesn't have to take any semester tests this year. Strasburg has a policy that if you miss less than six days of school during the year (unexcused) and your grades are good, you don't have to take any semester tests.

Betty, of course, is still at American Express. It's been pretty slow this past week. So she's taken a few afternoons off. She's been working around the yard. She got the deck scrubbed down and ready to stain, and most of the flowerbeds weeded. She took a paid time off today so she will probably be working on cleaning the house and washing clothes preparing for the kids to come home.

I have been doing pretty good. Getting better all the time. I still have to be careful what I do. It seems to be easy to get carried away with doing things that you probably should'nt be doing. Anyway all in good time.

As of right now I believe all of our kids will be home for Mothers Day.

Happy Mothers Day everyone!!!

No comments: